SADC leaders hold emergency meeting on security situation in DRC
ARTICLE AD BOX
A virtual extraordinary summit of heads of state and government of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) is underway this Thursday. The meeting is discussing the security situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
SADC troops remain trapped in Sake and Goma, in the eastern DRC, while the M23 rebels continue to capture more areas in the eastern part of the country.
SADC Chairperson and Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa says urgent action to find a solution in the DRC is needed.
“As we convene today we remain cognisant of the fact that repucursions of the instability extend beyond DRC borders, affect broader region at large. The implementation of the resolutions of the joint SADC and the EAC summit is now underway.”
The emergency SADC meeting will also get a report from the Organ on Politics, Defence and Security, which deliberated on the escalating situation in the eastern DRC.
In this meeting, leaders will also discuss whether troops deployed in the DRC should be withdrawn.
Meanwhile, SADC Executive Secretary Elias Magosi says the security situation in the DRC is a concern.
“Security situation in the eastern DRC is worrisome and continues to be a concern for the region. The attacks by M23 armed group againt the DRC government forces SAMIDRC troops and civikian populations and subsequent capture of various cities and towns have resulted in the loss of life and injuries.”
South Africa lost 14 soldiers who had been deployed as part of the SADC peacekeeping mission in the eastern DRC.
VIDEO | The names of the South African soldiers who died in the DRC:
The M23 rebel group fighting with the Congolese army has proposed a political dialogue to the Kinshasa government in an effort to reach a ceasefire in Congo, but this has yet to be materialised.
Author